Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

On this Mother's Day, I am compelled to use my blogging powers to broadcast my love for my dear mom. She was the best mom for me - patient, gentle, patient, "lady-like", and patient - she was exactly what was needed to balance out everything I wasn't. I'm so grateful to her for everything she did (and continues to do) for me.

A month or so ago, she was the featured recipient of her ward's Relief Society "Friendship Basket". The lady presenting it to my mom did some reconnaissince work and emailed me some questions about my mom. Here are just two of the questions and my answers for them:

Your fondest memory of her as a mom?
(Two things)
My mom would read to me. We would sit on the couch, in my bedroom, or out on the patio swing and she would read books to me for hours while I would sit and draw. We read The Secret Garden, all the Anne of Green Gables books, all of the Little House on the Prairie books, and all of the American Girl books (well, all the ones that were out at that point - now they have like 20 more girls!) - before I was even 10 years old.

Also, my dad would travel a lot for his job when I was little. At least one night per absence, my mom and I would snuggle up on the hide-away bed from our couch, order Pizza Hut pizza, drink orange pop, and watch either Pollyana or The Parent Trap (the Hayley Mills version).

Anything else to share?
My mom is the sweetest, kindest, most patient person I know. She has set such an example ot me of how a "lady" should act. She's always put herself second to those around her. Most importantly, my mom has been the best mother - and best FRIEND - that I could ever imagine. She's been patient with me when I was more than aggravating and immature; she's listened to all of my heartache about school, boys, friends, boys, my future, boys, my fears, and boys; and she's always been there for a laugh or hug when I needed it. Being here in Arizona with her in Minnesota is very hard, I miss her SO much, but I know she's always thinking of me and praying for me - so I never feel too far from her.

I love you, Mommy!